Bylaws and Policies

Planning and Development Policies and Resources

In making decisions regarding issues of planning and development, municipalities have much to consider, including federal and provincial legislation, environmental and historical impacts and the approved policies of the municipality itself. Section 638.2 of the Municipal Government Act (MGA) requires all municipalities within Alberta to have a listing of all policies and bylaws not approved under Part 17 of the MGA that influence Planning decisions available on their public websites:

  • A listing of all the municipalities’ approved policies which relate to planning and development (Part 17 of the MGA)
  • A summary of these policies, how they relate to each other and to other statutory plans and bylaws
  • Any documents incorporated by reference in any such bylaws

Master Plans and Development Bylaws and Procedures:

At the top of the municipal planning hierarchy there are numerous master plans such as the Intermunicipal Development Plan (IDP) and the Municipal Development Plan (MDP) that generally address the co-ordination of land use, future growth patterns and transportation and infrastructure.  These master plans are carried out through the adoption of other plans and bylaws that facilitate the implementation of these planning documents.

Subdivision and Development Authorities Bylaws:

Outside of the Land Use Bylaw, there are other bylaws that establish additional development authorities.  These authorities provide the ability for the Town to effectively administer and manage the regulatory framework represented by the LUB.

 Additional Bylaws and Policies that Influence Development:

There are numerous policies and bylaws that relate to the finer details of land development and the issuing of development permits.  These policies are often related to construction practices and the enforcement of standards.

Subdivision and Development Applications and Checklists:

Area Redevelopment Plans (ARP):

An ARP is a statutory plan that guides the redevelopment, preservation and rehabilitation of an existing neighbourhood.  ARPs provide a planning framework to guide redevelopment decisions within a defined area of the Town.


Transportation is linked to all aspects of daily life in Provost, as are the provision, routing and planning of potable, storm, and sanitary water systems. The community’s economic and social wellbeing depends greatly on its infrastructure providing safe, efficient and sustainable servicing for the community.  The Town has a number of plans, studies and bylaws that aim to achieve safe, efficient and sustainable infrastructure as Provost grows and changes over the long term.  These plans may influence development permit applications, subdivision approvals, and the preparation of statutory plans.

Parks and Recreation:

These plans help to provide guidance for passive and active recreational opportunities in Provost and may be referenced in other planning documents such as ASPs, Outline Plans, Concept Schemes, and subdivision and development permit applications

Street Address Display Bylaw ADDRESS BYLAW 02-2017

Utility Bylaw UTILITY BYLAW 15-2018

Unsightly Premises Bylaw Nuisance & Unsightly Premises Bylaw 11-2019

Public Places Bylaw 10-2019 Public Place Bylaw

Land Use Amendment Section 3.4 Apply for Development Permit 01-2012

Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw RESPONSIBLE PET OWNERSHIP BYLAW 09-2016

Land Use Bylaw 07-2010

Land Use Amendment Section 9.13 09-2010

Land Use Amendment Schedule “A” Land Use District Map 01-2013

Land Use Amendment “Sea Cans” 02-2012

Land Use Amendment Re-designate Land Industrial “M” to Highway Commercial “C3” 01-2011

False Alarm Amendment 05-2012

False Alarm Bylaw 07-2011

Cemetery Bylaw 10-2014

Business Licence Bylaw BUSINESS LICENSE BYLAW 10-2016

Burning Bylaw BURNING BYLAW 12-2016

Burning Bylaw Amendment 02-2009

Burning Bylaw Amendment 12-2011

Late Payment of Taxes Bylaw  LATE PAYMENT OF TAXES BYLAW 06-2016

Bylaws on this page are for reference and maybe out of date please contact the office if you need up to date bylaws.

Bylaw enforcement and Animal control and Complaints

Bylaw complaints use the online report form or call 780-753-2261 to fill out a complaint form with our receptionist.

For Dog’s-at-large, call 780-209-4289

Registering a Complaint

When you make the complaint, you will be required to provide your full name and address, and a phone number where we can reach you at home, at work and/or on cell. The Town of Provost does not accept anonymous complaints. Please fill in all the information so that we can take appropriate action on your request. Your name and contact information are treated in confidence. Your information will not be shared and will be managed in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

When providing the incident details, describe:
The situation you wish to report. Provide the names of all involved (if known), date(s), day(s) of the week, month, year, and time(s) the event or activity occurred.

Describe the nature of the complaint:

  • Business Licenses
  • Dog Feces (Accumulation in residential backyard)
  • Exterior Property Maintenance (Roof, windows, doors, etc. that are broken or in need of major repair)
  • Garbage and debris (Residential and/or Commercial Properties)
  • Garbage Dumping (Garbage dumped on public properties or back alleys, ditches, etc.)
  • Illegal use of Property (Zoning)
  • Interior Property Maintenance (rental Properties
  • Long grass (More than 8 inches)
  • Noise (Only noise during the day due to construction projects, large machines or equipment, etc.)
  • Potential Vacant Building
  • Signs
  • Snow and Ice (Snow or ice that hasn’t been cleared within 48 hours of a snow fall)
  • Other…

The address or location where the event occurred what you saw or heard, providing as much detail as you can to describe the matter you are reporting. For example, if you are reporting a barking dog, we will ask you to start a log to record dates and times, and to identify the dog. the action you wish taken.

Once we receive the complaint. Response time will depend on availability of personnel at the time of the call, and the priority of your complaint compared with other calls received.

If your complaint is not urgent, we may ask for your assistance. For example, if you have found a stray dog and an Enforcement Officer is not available, we may ask if you will: keep the dog until an officer is available take the dog to the Shelter.

The enforcement procedure depends on the type of infraction; however, the following outlines the general process.

The Enforcement Officer assigned to your complaint will act based on your wishes in concert with the evidence available. Insufficient evidence would result in no prosecution. In such instances, a warning may be issued.
With your complaint you may be asked to provide a written statement of what you observed. You may also be asked if you would be willing to testify in court. Your testimony would be essential if you want to have a charge laid where an Enforcement Officer has not personally witnessed the infraction. If you are not willing to provide a statement or testify in court, a charge will not be laid. In these cases, a warning to the offender(s) is a normal course of action.
In some situations, if it has been determined that a bylaw has been violated, the subject is given the option of voluntary compliance. Should that not resolve the issue, the case may be presented to a court of law.

Complaint Follow-Up At the conclusion of an investigation, the Enforcement Officer may contact you to let you know what action was taken and the final outcome.





Name of Occupier of Property (if known):
Name of Registered Property Owner (if known):


By signing this complaint form, I confirm that I understand that the The Town of Provost will beunable to guarantee confidentiality of the above information if this matter results in court action or an order from the Provincial Information and Privacy Commission.
MM slash DD slash YYYY