HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF PROVOST “COAT OF ARMS”

The Town of Provost Coat of Arms

On a Field of green in the form of an orb,(sphere surmounted by a cross symbolizing kingly power and justice), a broad cross saltare white (the saltare is supported by a supporter of the royal arms in Scotland,honoring the original settlers, the patron saint of Scotland, Saint Andrew). Charged at centre with a calumet red (a highly ornamental ceremonial pipe of the American Indians) The Calumet is in honour of the treaty signed at Sounding Lake. Cree Chief Thunderchild signed Treaty #6 at Sounding Lake in August of 1879. Heads of wheat gold, on each side dominates the Town’s coat of arms symbolizing the agricultural history of the community. Crested with the maple leafs red. Subscribed with the scroll red “Town of Provost”. This was passed through Council on the 13th day of November 1974.