Tourism Amenities and Attractions
Provost and District’s warm welcome, small town charm, old-fashioned country hospitality and friendly faces capture a diversity that has much to appeal to residents and tourists alike.
The Town of Provost maintains a brand new Arena and sports facility as well as a Recreation and Culture Centre, plus a number of other facilities including ball diamonds, tennis courts and campgrounds. There is an incredible variety of sports activities, including a twelve-hole golf course, a skateboard park, badminton, basketball, bowling, curling, dance, discing, figure skating, hockey, soccer, softball, swimming and tae kwon do. Hockey fans can watch the Provost Combines compete in the East Central Senior Hockey League.
Bird watchers, campers, fishing and hunting enthusiasts can enjoy nature as close as the Trout Pond at the southwest corner of town complete with a brand new RV Park , the “Blue Bird Trail” south of town, Ribstone Creek or lakeside at Capt Ayre Lake, Dilberry Lake Provincial Park or Shorncliffe Lake (all with in a short drive). There is a local archery club and shooting range. Due in part to the many nearby lakes, the hunter can find a plentiful supply of ducks and geese. Local outfitters, campgrounds and hotels can make your adventure comfortable and successful, and affirm why the area is well known throughout Canada and the United States for its abundance of game.
• The Town of Provost is proud to be host to and work with our local associations for the many regional and provincial sporting events in hockey, baseball, softball and soccer to name a few.
• We support our figure skating group “Provost Figure Skating Club” with an exciting carnival each year (March). We hold an annual drag race at the airport usually on the second weekend in August. The Provost Kinsmen annually hosts an entire weekend during Father’s Day weekend (June) with an exciting splash & smash mud race. We have an active curling rink ”Provost Ag Society and Curling Club” that holds several bonspiels (seniors, school, ladies, men’s & mixed tournaments). Our outdoor swimming pool is very active and the Provost Piranha Swim club annually hosts a very exciting swim meet that attracts many out-of-town teams. The community is very grateful for the annual fundraising events held such as the Firemen’s Ball & Auction and the Provost & District Fish & Game supper (February), The Provost & District Museum Pumpkin Fest (October), The Provost Music festival (which celebrated its 50th Anniversary March 27-April 1, 2022).
• Other exciting events held in the community are the Chamber of Commerce parade and pancake breakfast (June). The Town and MD hosts a large community BBQ at Crescent Point Place (Splash & Smash weekend). On the second Monday in September EEOC holds their annual community awareness night.
• In December the Town will be celebrating their second annual Hometown Country Christmas night (December 17, 2022). The Chamber holds their annual breakfast with Santa and the Provost Kinsmen holds their annual Christmas Party.
• In 2022 the Town completed approximately 3 kms of paved walking trails that surround the sports facilities and the golf course. Our golf course is a 12-hole grass greens course with a top-notch club house that serves excellent food. During the golf season it has a Ladies night every Tuesday and Men’s night every Wednesday. They hold several golf tournaments that include the Oilmen’s, Town & Country, and Town events.
Bodo Archaeological Sites –The Bodo Archaeological Site is one of the largest and most well-preserved archaeological areas in Western Canada. Located south of Provost, the site is a large and rich complex of archaeological resources that date back as early as 5000 years ago. The site also includes evidence for the continued use over the last 500 years of a “bison pound” where hundreds of bison were corralled and killed at one time.
At Bodo, you have the unique opportunity to take part in the ongoing archaeological excavation at this important locale and to contribute to the discovery of Alberta’s exciting past. The Bodo Archaeological Site and Centre has many amazing hands-on activities and experiences you, your family, or your school can take part in. Annual summer programs include: Adult Dig-It Camps, Kids Day Camps, and Curriculum Based School Tours. Learn more at bodoarchaeology.com.
Learn More – bodoarchaeology.com
St. Norbert’s Rosenheim Church – Located nine and a half miles southeast of Provost, this Alberta Historic Site is the largest Neo-Gothic church in rural Alberta. Built in 1922, it is an excellent example of architecture from southern Germany. The Rosenheim Historical Society has lovingly and painstakingly restored the building to its original beauty and stature. and they will celebrate 100 years in June 2022.
Learn More: www.stnorbertschurchrosenheim.ca
Prairie Panorama Museum and Machinerama – Located at Shornclife Lake, this display can provide an interesting day for residents and visitors alike.
Provost & District Museum – Located at the southwest corner of the town, historical buildings on-site include the Western Ridge and Stainsleigh Schools, Our Saviors’ Lutheran Church and two historical houses, a T. Eaton’s House owned by the Stockdale family and bachelor’s cabin. The Provost & District Museum’s Artifact Display Building is currently under construction, thanks in large part to the Alberta Centenial Legacies Program. The Museum opened in 2006. The dedicated efforts of local citizens will make possible the preservation of the community’s earliest beginnings and tell the story of Provost’s commercial and farming pioneers.
Learn More: www.provostmuseum.com
While in Provost and District, one can enjoy many events including
- Ball, golf and soccer tournaments
- Cadogan Stampede
- Czar Bullerama
- Community Awareness Night
- Curling and discing bonspiels
- Provost Kinsmen Splash & Smash
- The Fall Fair
- Provost & District Chamber of Commerce Annual Parade
- Provost & District Museum Society Flea Market
- Provost Farmers Market; Provost Fish & Game Annual Awards Night and Social
- Provost & District Music Festival
- Provost Road Race
- Rosenheim Picnic, Garage & Craft Sale
- The Senior’s Fair
- The Provost Fire & Rescue Annual Fundraiser.